Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I want to be connected to the Vine!

Check this out!

John 15:1-8

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears MUCH FRUIT (added emphasis); for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you BEAR MUCH FRUIT (added emphasis); so that you will be My disciples."

what a clear analogy...God the Father is the vinedresser or the gardener. Jesus, God's Son is the Vine, the main part of the plant...and we are the branches connected to the vine. As the branches, the vine plays a vital role in being our source on life. If the branch is disconnected from the vine, not only can it not live, but it also cannot bear any fruit. (Note: the fruit of the Spirit is "Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" Galatians 5:22-23). This is why the scripture says, "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch (Us) cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it ABIDES in the VINE (Jesus), neither can you, unless you abide in Me." Jesus is saying here that not only can you just bear fruit from being connected to the vine, but when you abide in Jesus you bear MUCH fruit (John 15:5)...not just one fruit, not just some, MUCH. The coolest part is that we get to be the ones to bear the fruit of God!

Our fate, if we do not abide in Jesus is death, separation from the Vine...we cannot bear fruit, and are thrown out. Obviously none of us want that fate...

I want to glorify God today by abiding in His vine, Jesus, so that I can bear God much fruit (love, joy, peace, etc.) and live connected to the source of life, the vine, forever! Could you imagine if we all would be connected to the vine, how much fruit we could produce!
Lord, I meditate on your word

Have a great day everyone!

No comments: